Sunday 21 June 2009

Buttered Spaghetti

Every so often I find I have month at the end of my money. When that happens, as it inevitably does, I tend to pad out the days with pasta. Pasta, of course, has risen in price by nearly three times over the last six months (due, I'm told, to a bad harvest last year), but it still represents good value and a useful tummy-filler. Anyway, this week, I thought I'd list some quick, cheap, and easy ways to serve pasta, without compromising on taste. I tend to find ways of using whatever store-cupboard ingredients I was sensible enough to invest in, earlier in the month, so everything that follows over the next few days will reflect that.

Equipment

A spaghetti portion measurer
A large saucepan
A cooker (1 ring needed)
A sieve or colander
A pepper mill

Ingredients

Spaghetti
A teaspoon or so of salt
Enough water
15g melted butter per portion
Grated hard Italian cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
A sprinkling of dried basil and/or oregano

Method

Boil up the spaghetti in salted water according to the packet instructions. When ready (it's supposed to stick to the wall, when you fling a sample piece at it) drain into the sieve/colander.
Melt the butter in the same, still hot, saucepan.

Turn out the spag into your serving dish, and add your melted butter and herbs. Mix. Grind your black pepper, and sprinkle your cheese, over the top.

It sounds like poverty rations, but in fact it's very tasty, and allows one to appreciate the flavour of spaghetti in itself, something that rich and strong sauces often overpower.

Best wishes, 2ndRateMind.

No comments:

Post a Comment